- January 16, 2017
Guidance for answering one of the most difficult questions you’ll ever face.
No marriage is perfect – no matter how things may look from the outside. Every couple has struggles and for some the struggles are so great that the only way to describe their union is as a bad marriage.
But there are a couple of curious things about bad marriages.
Some aren’t bad all the time or even most of the time. These are marriages that are situationally unhealthy and are reactions to something specific that happens.
The other curious thing about unhealthy marriages is that bad isn’t the same for everyone. What one couple (or one spouse) calls bad another couple easily accepts as normal.
So what causes a bad marriage?
There’s no single or simple answer here. People who are in unhealthy marriages have all kinds of ways to describe what is the root problem of their relationship woes.
- Betrayals – sexual and emotional
- Too much fighting
- Regularly receiving the silent treatment
- Not talking about problems
- Not cooperating or working together
- Not listening to understand
- Finding blame instead of problem-solving
- Being taken for granted
- Not meeting sexual needs
- Not meeting needs for intimacy
- Keeping secrets
- Passive/aggressive behavior
- Prolonged or repeated…